Friday, July 5, 2013

Hiking

Two years ago, Kevin and I were in Kauai for our honeymoon, and we decided to hike up the North Coast of the island- the Na Pali Coast. 

The hike that we chose was a total of 3 miles.  We went up the mountain, then down.  Three miles doesn't seem like that much, but when you are going straight up, things are different.  Suddenly you feel like after 5 minutes, you have already hiked three miles.  The fact that you are out of breath should mean that the hike is almost over, right? Wrong.  


I was so nervous about this hike, because it's my nature to get nervous about challenges and question if I will be able to do them or not.  In elementary school, my teachers and counselors always said "You can do it!" about everything.  Running, testing, coloring... I always wondered though, "How do you KNOW that I can do it? What if I actually CANNOT do it?"  


I retreated to elementary school in my mind on the morning of our hike.  "You can do it."  Worst case scenario, we would turn around.  


As we started the hike and I started to wonder if we had packed enough water, I noticed a "mixed" crowd coming down the mountain.  Mothers carrying babies, toddlers, and oh yeah- 90 year old women.  They were completing the hike, racing by me and I found myself dumbfounded.  I thought, if these people can complete this hike, why did I doubt that I could?


I tried to learn a lesson from this experience.  I told myself that maybe I need more confidence, at least as much as that 90 year old woman or that toddler.  Maybe I need to assume that I am capable of more than I usually limit myself to.  Most of all, maybe so much of what I am able to accomplish in life is decided by whether or not I believe in myself.  All of these cheesy quotes seem true now- "You can do anything you set your mind to."  I limit myself so often because I do not believe that magical things can happen- miracles, blessings, and masterpieces.  


We completed the hike easily.  Well, Kevin would tell you that I was complaining and panting by the time it was over.  But it was no big deal after all.  


Over the past few days I have been more aware of the people in my life who don't tell themselves no.  They do not limit themselves, because they believe in themselves, and I hope I'm becoming more like them.  So much of it is  your mindset- and I want mine to always be open and confident so that I can enjoy life fully.


1 comment:

  1. Great food for thought, Hailey. I wish I had realized when I was younger not to limit myself from things because of fear or thinking I would fail. Glad you realize it now. By the way, I think you are very brave!! You've already gone places and done things I've never had the courage to do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers